Instagram Direct Messages (DMs) can be used to talk with friends through text, photos, videos, and so on.
You can express yourself with different methods such as message effects, custom reactions, stickers, gifs, and polls.
When a user is typing a message, the chat will show a “Typing” indicator.
However, some users are saying that the indicator is not working now.
In short, a message is sent even without showing that the user typed the message.
In this article, I will tell you how to fix the Instagram typing indicator not showing, not working, or missing from your DMs.
Why is the typing indicator not working on Instagram?
The typing indicator is not working on Instagram due to an unstable or poor internet connection.
It can also happen due to a glitch or bug that will be resolved in the coming update of Instagram.
Otherwise, the DM option of Instagram is down and you need to wait for it to be back up.
You can find out if the DM option is causing issues for other users on Twitter by searching for it.
How to fix Instagram Typing not showing
To fix Instagram Typing not showing, you can download Instagram Lite from the Google Play Store.
On the other hand, you can use a third-party website to get an older version of Instagram in APK format.
Solution 1: Download Instagram Lite (Android users)
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for “Instagram Lite” to find it.
- Download Instagram Lite.
- G to Instagram Lite.
- Sign in to your Instagram account.
- Go to your direct messages to find out if the “Typing” indicator is showing up.
Solution 2: Download an older version of Instagram (Android users)
- Remove the Instagram app from your device.
- Copy and paste it into your browser: https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android.
- Select “Older versions” to download and install an older version of Instagram.
- Go to your direct messages to find out if the “Typing” indicator shows up.
Fix 3: Other troubleshooting methods
If you are still not able to see the “Typing” indicator on Instagram, use these troubleshooting ways:
- Update IG app: Go to App Store or Google Play Store, search for “Instagram”, and choose “Update” if there is any.
- Remove and reinstall app: Delete the Instagram app and go to the Google Play Store and reinstall it.
- Force exit and open it again: Swipe up from the bottom of your screen, go to the Instagram card, and swipe up.
- Clear Instagram’s cache: Follow these steps to remove cache: open the Settings app > Apps > Manage apps > Instagram > Clear Cache > Clear Data>Open app again.
- Sign out and log in: Follow these steps: Go to the Instagram app > Profile > Menu > Settings > Log out > Log back in.
- Wait it out: If Instagram is facing outage, you should wait for a few hours for the server-side problem to be resolved.
Arsalan Rauf is an entrepreneur, freelancer, creative writer, and also a fountainhead of Green Hat Expert. Additionally, he is also an eminent researcher of Blogging, SEO, Internet Marketing, Social Media, premium accounts, codes, links, tips and tricks, etc.