Are you an owner of a Discord server, it is a good idea to add rules to your server.
Rules will set the foundation for your server of Discord.
However, it is a hard task to write rules – especially good ones.
If you add rules to your server that are too ridiculous, the members might leave the server.
In addition, if you add rules that are too simple then the members might break them.
You need a couple of things to compose good Discord server rules.
First of all, you need to know the niche of your server.
For instance, if you have a gaming server, you can add a rule to prevent selling, buying or trading of accounts in the server.
It will prevent your server from any transactions and the members will also not use it for this purpose.
The second thing is to know about the demographics of your members including age, language and interests etc.
This post will help you to get a list of basic, good and aesthetic discord server rules ideas that you can copy and paste to your server.
How do you create a Rules channel in Discord?
You need to make a new text channel named “Rules” in order to create a rules channel in Discord.
The next step is to use the “Advanced permissions” and set the channel to read-only.
You need to cross the “Send Messages” permission available under “Advanced permissions”.
By doing it, you can only send messages in the channel and not the members.
After doing that, you can copy and paste a list of rules in the chat.
Further, you can also learn about how to add rules to your Discord server in this guide: https://www.greenhatexpert.com/discord-server-rules/.
How do you force people to read the rules in Discord?
You need to enable the community feature for your server in order to force people to read the Discord rules.
After doing so, you need to set up “Membership Screening” and add rules to the server.
New members when they join your server, have to agree to the discord rules before they begin sending messages on the server
If not, they will not be able to react, talk or message other members using your server.
Good Discord server rules
Here is a list of good Discord server rules to copy and paste in your server:
- Don’t join the server to promote your content.
- Any content that is NSFW is not allowed under any circumstances.
- Don’t advertise without permission.
- Don’t role-play within the server.
- Raiding is not allowed.
- Don’t buy/sell/trade/give away anything.
- Don’t use the server as a dating server.
- Be respectful, civil, and welcoming.
- No inappropriate or unsafe content.
- Don’t misuse or spam in any of the channels.
- Controversial topics including politics or religion are not allowed.
- No major spoilers from any anime, movie, tv-show, or games on public channels.
- Please don’t mic spam.
- Don’t record voice channel conversations.
- Do not try to bypass any blocked words.
- Do not ping without legitimate reasoning behind them.
- Alternate accounts are not allowed under any
- The primary language of this server is English.
- Discord avatars and names should be appropriate.
- Spamming in any form is not allowed.
- Catfishing and any sort of fake identities are forbidden.
- No Discord server invite links or codes.
- Spoilers must use spoiler tags and be labeled.
- Listen to the server’s staff.
- Use the appropriate channels.
- Trading, selling, begging, boosting and account sharing are not allowed.
- Discriminatory language and hate speech is forbidden.
- Be respectful and welcoming as toxicity is not allowed.
- Do not spam messages or emotes.
- XP-Grinding is prohibited.
- Do not send Discord server invites on the server or in DMs.
- Do not send online meeting links.
- Illegally distributing unlicensed material is prohibited.
- You are not allowed to sell anything here.
- Do not impersonate others, including public figures.
- Do not flood chat by having messages exceed 7 lines on a computer screen.
- Engaging in message chains is prohibited.
- Do not send copy paste.
- Anything to target specific groups/individuals is prohibited.
- Avoid topics regarding banned members.
- Remain on topic and use channels correctly.
- Do not talk about hacking or cheating.
- Do not share scam websites.
- Do not converse about adult or non-PG topics.
- Only communicate in English.
- Be civil, and do not treat messaging channels like a stream chat.
- Do not ping staff members for no reason.
- Do not mass mention by pinging more than 4 people at once, or randomly ping members.
- Encouraging rule-breaking is an offense.
- Using Discord Stickers excessively is to be avoided.
- Do not play music or other audio through your microphone.
- Streaming movies or other copyrighted content is illegal.
- Do not send any malicious and harmful links or files, or anything that jeopardizes the security of others.
- Leaking the personal information of others is prohibited.
- Do not harass, or join in on the harassment of, another user.
- Do not engage in hate speech of any kind.
- Do not threaten anyone.
- Do not post unsafe items (e.g. malicious websites, pirated software, etc).
- Do not stack more than 5 emotes in a message.
- Do not send more than 2 flashing or strobe-effect emote at any one time.
- Inappropriate profile pictures, usernames, statuses, usernames with profanity, or blank names are not allowed.
- Please do not make your nickname “everyone”.
- Do not copy or claim other people’s art.
- Obnoxious, excessive, or inappropriate sounds are disallowed.
- Using voice changers and soundboards is disallowed.
- Only stream PG content.
- Do not loop or queue the same song with music bots.
- Spoilers should be labeled appropriately using Discord’s built-in formatting, sufficiently disclosing what topic is being covered.
- Do not request, post, or disclose piracy information, links, or intent.
- Please limit and be reasonable with the promotion of content.
- All content and messages on this server are to be in English, with the exception of common words or phrases at staff discretion.
- Community members are free to express themselves openly and give constructive criticism and feedback.
- Regardless of age, strive to treat each other as we would like to be treated ourselves.
- Any form of harassment such as blackmailing, doxxing, inappropriate DMs, results in an immediate and permanent ban.
- Any sort of discrimination will not be tolerated.
- If there is a large group of members silently listening to music, please kindly mute yourself or move to an alternative channel.
- Coordinating or participating in a server raid is forbidden.
- Don’t be toxic or mean, including bashing people’s posts unprovoked.
- If you’re sharing a link, please include a description (unless the nature of the link is obvious).
- Do not impersonate developers, moderators, or other users.
- Bullying and harassment will not be tolerated.
- Do not send medically-triggering, strobe-effect, or severely flashing media.
- Please refrain from back-seat moderating.
- Do not post any link or file that crashes Discord.
- Do not DDoS or threaten to DDoS other users.
- You need to be at least 13 years old to use Discord.
- Be cautious when introducing conversations regarding controversial or sensitive topics.
- Community members should strive for a certain level of quality in their messages.
- Please do not contact server members unsolicited.
- Please follow the Discord terms of service.
- Remain civil and considerate towards other users.
- We encourage free expression for all, embrace our differences, opinions, and diverse backgrounds, therefore, debates are welcome while they are based on these ideas.
- Follow all staff instructions immediately and at all times.
- No hate speech or trolling.
- Do not discuss, request, conduct, or advertise real money trades.
- Do not share personal information.
- We promote diversity and inclusivity and expect your interactions in this channel to be respectful and guided by these principles.
- Be kind and respectful to others.
- The most important rule of all is to have fun!
- No advertising Discord servers, other programs, websites, or services.
- Creating sub servers with the intent of moving our members with the goal of self-benefit is not allowed.
- Forming of raids, targeting us or another server will lead to a permanent ban.
- Do not bully or harass another member in any way, shape, or form.
- Any harmful material will result in a permanent ban.
- These rules may vary any time. Moderators reserve the right to warn and ban users discretionally.
It is necessary to add rules to your discord server due to a couple of reasons.
First of all, rules will tell the members of the servers about dos and don’ts.
So the members of the server will not be surprised when they get banned due to the violations.
The second reason is, the confusion will be less and the server will be organized.
That way, more people will join your server and the rules will also attract them.
Arsalan Rauf is an entrepreneur, freelancer, creative writer, and also a fountainhead of Green Hat Expert. Additionally, he is also an eminent researcher of Blogging, SEO, Internet Marketing, Social Media, premium accounts tips and tricks, etc.