You can use ChatGPT to summarize or paraphrase long form texts.
For instance, someone might want to get a summary of a transcript on a YouTube video and ask the tool to do it.
The transcript might have 10,000 words which can cause the model to stop.
However, the model contains a secret character limit to avoid overwhelming messages.
The reason is that ChatGPT will encounter technical problems and outages without this character limit.
In this article, I will tell you how to fix “The message you submitted was too long, please reload the conversation and submit something shorter” in ChatGPT.
Why is the message I submitted too long in ChatGPT?
The message you submitted is too long in ChatGPT is shown because you are exceeding the character limit.
The character limit varies from app to app or platform to platform you are using to use it.
According to ChatGPT’s training data, the bot contains a limit of about 500 to 1,000 characters per message.
However, the data is outdated because I have used the bot to check the character limit which is more than 15,000 characters now.
It can be changed keeping in view the technical consideration including the size of the input, computational resources, the server hosting the bot and the memory capacity etc.
To prevent overwhelming the bot, the limit is set by the team to avoid long messages which are hard to process.
How to fix “The message you submitted was too long, please reload the conversation and submit something shorter” in ChatGPT
To fix “The message you submitted was too long, please reload the conversation and submit something shorter” in ChatGPT, you have to split the message or shorten it.
If you’re making your message short, make sure the message should be less than 15,000 characters.
Solution 1: Shorten your message
- You are sending the message that which is exceeding the maximum character limit permitted by the system.
- After testing the model, I have found that the character limit set by the team is more or less 15,000 characters.
- To prevent errors, you need to reduce the length of your message to under 15,000 characters.
Solution 2: Split up your message
- You need to split the message into parts instead of sending it in one go.
- For instance, if you’re trying to ask ChatGPT to summarize a transcript that has over 18,000 words, you can split the transcript up into 2 parts containing 9,000 words each.
- Ask for a summary after copying and pasting the first part of the transcript into ChatGPT, after that, copy and paste the next part to get a summary.
How to Fix You Do Not Have Access to chat.openai.com
How to Fix “Hmm…something seems to have gone wrong. Maybe try me again in a little bit” in ChatGPT
How to Fix “Not seeing what you expected here? Don’t worry, your conversation data is preserved! Check back soon” in ChatGPT
Arsalan Rauf is an entrepreneur, freelancer, creative writer, and also a fountainhead of Green Hat Expert. Additionally, he is also an eminent researcher of Blogging, SEO, Internet Marketing, Social Media, premium accounts tips and tricks, etc.