A direct messaging feature on Instagram helps you to chat or talk with your friends on IG.
This feature also allows you to create a group chat to add multiple users.
You can DM everyone on the platform that has not put the privacy limitations on the account.
Tap on the “Message” button to send a direct message to a public account.
When it comes to private accounts, tapping on three dots on their profile next to “Send Message” will do the job.
In rare cases, you may get the Instagram DM not loading issue.
In this article, I will tell you why Instagram direct messages are not loading and how to fix Instagram DMs stuck on loading.
Why are Instagram direct messages not loading?
Instagram direct messages are not loading due to the outage of Instagram.
Otherwise, you’ve sent too many DMs at the same time and IG has stopped you to prevent spamming.
The causes behind why your Instagram direct messages are not loading:
- Instagram is not up (it can be checked on downdetector.com/status/instagram).
- You’ve sent too many DMs in one time (the system has blocked you temporarily from sending direct messages).
Author’s note: I’ve been temporarily blocked from sending direct messages multiple times before and the restrictions lifted after 3 hours.
There are a couple of methods that can be used to see if Instagram is down—visit downdetector.com/status/instagram or Twitter.
On Downdetector, a spike in the graph will be shown to prove it.
On Twitter, search for the problem that you’re getting (e.g. Instagram DM not loading) and check the latest tweets.
If you see a lot of tweets about it, it indicates that Instagram DMs are probably down.
If Instagram DMs are down, the best bet is to wait for 24 hours for the feature to reinstate.
How to fix Instagram DMs stuck on loading
To fix Instagram DMs stuck on loading, the ideal way is to wait for 24 hours (if IG is down).
If Instagram is up, you can try to go to the web version of Instagram that is, (instagram.com).
Additionally, you can use another network or report the issue on the app.
Lastly, you can try to remove the cache of Instagram, updating, or uninstalling and reinstalling it.
Solution 1: Wait for 24 hours
- Find out if Instagram is facing outage on downdetector.com/status/instagram—if it indicates that, the only way is to wait for 24 hours or more for DMs to work again.
- If you’ve sent too many direct messages, the system will restrict you temporarily from this action and you’ll have to wait for a few hours to resolve the function.
Solution 2: Use Website Instagram.com
- If Instagram DM is not loading, you can use Instagram from its website to view or send messages.
- Fix 1: Visit the link instagram.com from PC > Log in > DMs > Send a message.
- Fix 2: Download Instagram from the Microsoft Store > Log in > DMs > Send a message.
Solution 3: Change your network
- If you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network, switch to mobile data instead.
- If you’re connected to mobile data, use a Wi-Fi network instead.
- You can also use another Wi-Fi network if you have one.
Solution 4: Report a problem
- Visit your Instagram profile and tap on the menu icon.
- Settings > Help > Report a Problem.
- Report a Problem > Include and Continue.
- Illustrate your problem and submit the report.
Note: If you’ve enabled “Shake phone to report a problem”, open your DMs, shake your phone, and report the issue there.
Solution 5: Remove cache of Instagram, reinstall, or update it
- Remove Instagram’s cache: Go to the Settings app > Apps > Instagram > Storage > Clear Cache.
- Update Instagram: Go to the App Store/Google Play Store > search for “Instagram” > tap on the “Update” button to update it.
- Uninstall and reinstall Instagram: Remove the Instagram app > go to the App Store/Google Play Store > search for “Instagram” > reinstall it.
How to Make a Website Like Instagram
Arsalan Rauf is an entrepreneur, freelancer, creative writer, and also a fountainhead of Green Hat Expert. Additionally, he is also an eminent researcher of Blogging, SEO, Internet Marketing, Social Media, premium accounts, codes, links, tips and tricks, etc.